By Mill Montejo
BUYER BEWARE! I have become aware after direct assault to my own local traffic that over the last year and a half, hundreds of my fellow resume writers have been trolled by an Internet Marketer.
The “Guy” who will not be named because you don’t really search for his name and why give him extra Google traction. After all, you don’t search for his name. You search for a product and service that he claims to be the #1 at providing from here to Calcutta.
This Guy is not an expert in this service. He is simply a 26-year-old Internet marketer who sells job search services to executives for thousands of dollars. Lately, some of those genuine clients have started to leave him some real reviews like the two from Dawn S. and Sarah T. Pay close attention to not only the first but even a second response that he felt he had to leave to counter their statements.
This Guy has never been my client, or a business associate in any way. Where does he even get off reviewing his direct competitors without knowing their work directly, interviewing that specific writer’s clients, or even being an expert in the career services field? Until late 2018 to early 2019, I had never even heard of the dude. That is until the organization that I volunteered for during the first five years of my business and its members became the target of this character and the clandestine persona/s he portrays online.
The Guy’s Online Reviews of His Competitors
During 2018, and continuing into 2019, “the Guy” has attacked and tried to divert résumé writing work from legal and longtime U.S. and Canadian resume writing services and resume writers. This included:
• Likely buying paid links to generate traffic to his “conflict of interest” articles.
• Writing negative descriptions of resume writing services that are his competitors in multiple states in the country and rating his own as #1 in the same article.
• Engaging in making Libelous accusations regarding competitor companies.
• Engaging in sending threatening and nasty emails to his competitor, résumé writers.
• Contacting competitor writers through their contact forms on their website threatening them further when they reply to his fake top 10 list.
- The Guy has been running a smear campaign against another writer who also happens to be an attorney that is fighting back suing him for deceptive marketing practices, libel, and defamation under Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act and the United States Copyright Act. Wendi Weiner is taking a stand for herself and for the résumé writing industry.
Actions to Protect the Public from Deceptive Reviews & False Claims
In March 2019, the Better Business Bureau asked this so-called expert to substantiate or remove his claims from his website and other locations. They then censured him when he did not comply with their request. To date he has:
• Removed some fake reviews from third-party sites.
• Added disclosures regarding conflicts of interest to 50 articles to his website that were missing before the BBB intervened.
Before the BBB’s censure action, two professional organizations removed the Guy from their membership in 2018:
- The Forbes-affiliated Young Entrepreneur Council (YEC).
- The Professional Association of Resume Writers (PARW).
These sites may have also learned of his marketing practices and appear to have stopped him from posting:
- LinkedIn Pulse.
Various organizations are beginning to become aware of his unprofessional and unethical behavior and have restricted his ability to post on their sites. The Guy now appears to be constrained to posting his attacks on competitors to his own website. Recently he posted a new press release to ramp up his SEO offering 100 free résumé critiques and the site took it down within hours. https://finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/disregard-release-profession-164500651.html
In April 2019, one writer that was reviewed, and harassed with emails and consecutive posts about her filed suit against him. In this web post Attorney and Nationally Certified Résumé Writer Wendi Weiner shares with us the federal court proceeding for deceptive or unfair conduct, and material misrepresentation.
The 10 Best Resume Writers Scam
Even though I wrote a cease and desist email to request that my company name and logo or website be removed from his bogus top 10 list, he removed me and simply swapped my business out for another never removing the article. The Guy’s website STILL currently contains “reviews” of the “10 best resume writers” as well as the top LinkedIn profile writers in which his company is named number one again.
These types of practices of listing a top search term like “job search” or “resume writer” in multiple cities relies on Google algorithm gaming techniques to steal traffic and business from other writers in those states. If you have a business in any of the below states you likely have lost business to this Guy’s unethical practices:
- Allentown, Atlanta, Austin,
- Boston, Bridgeport, Buffalo,
- California, Calgary, Charleston, Charlotte, Chicago, Colorado Springs, Columbus,
- Dallas, Denver, Detroit,
- Edmonton, El Paso,
- Ft. Worth,
- Grand Rapids,
- Hartford, Houston,
- Kansas City,
- Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Louisville,
- Memphis, Miami, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Montreal,
- Nashville, New Orleans, New York City, New Jersey
- Orlando, Ottawa,
- Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Providence,
- Sacramento, St. Louis, Salt Lake City, San Antonio,
San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, Silicon Valley,
- Tampa, Toronto, Tucson,
- Vancouver, Ventura, Virginia Beach,
- Washington, D.C., and Winnipeg.
This self-described expert career coach and #1 résumé writer in the world doesn’t appear to have hired any of the resume writers that he or his company reviews.
He continues to self-review his own company, and write articles that hurt the ranking of his global competitors. He now claims that he is the best résumé writing service in India and Australia.
There is no limit to what this Guy is the BEST at. Read all the negative stuff he has written to and about other professional writers in the links I have provided. He has even used foul language in the emails.
The Right Way to Find a Professional Resume Writer
The best way to find a professional résumé writer that engages in ethical practices, has some type of certification by a national organization, and participates continuous professional development is by going to the following pages:
- https://thenrwa.com/nationallycertifiedonlineprofileexperts for LinkedIn Profile Writers
- https://thenrwa.com/nationallycertifiedresumewriters for Nationally Certified Résumé Writers
- https://thenrwa.com/professionalresumewriters for Professional Résumé Writers